Sometimes you need a little guide on the side when it comes to knowing how to begin something new. This is especially true when it comes to a weight loss journey. There are so many competing ideas, and with it being a 3.8 billion dollar industry it can be easy to get “sold” on something that won’t work for you. Here are my top ten habits that are helping me lose weight:
- Daily weigh-ins: this has helped me know my patterns betters and has made me less uptight about seeing “the number”
- Drinking 64 ounces of water each day: I notice that when I am hydrated I feel less hungry between meals.
- Daily exercise: when I work out I feel better, and since I enjoy spinning and I own a Peloton, it just works out.
- Daily food tracking: I am a Weight Watchers member, so I do all of that on my app and it really gives me the structure I need.
- Weigh and measure portions: I find it difficult to eyeball a serving. A food scale and measuring cups really help me. I’m not overeating or undereating I’m eating a serving and it helps.
- Making healthy foods obvious: it helps a lot to have grab-and-go foods for meal prep. Hard-boiled eggs, cut-up veggies, or low-point/calorie snacks bagged up can make a big difference
- Daily reflection for gratitude is more helpful than you’d think: if you decide to focus on all that there is to be grateful for it changes the daily story we tell ourselves. It’s important to enjoy this time on the journey and not just wait for things to get better after weight loss.
- If you’re a learner it’s important to intellectually engage the weight loss process: read about health and nutrition to keep your head in the game. If reading is not your bag, there are plenty of podcasts out there.
- Plan ahead: for me the meal that’s the hardest is dinner. I use the Paprika Recipe Manager to plan out the week. The great thing is I can send myself the grocery list on the “Reminders” app on my iPhone.
- Build a community: having spaces you can share with others really makes a difference. Get a friend to join you on a weight loss journey, be part of a bigger group meeting, and/or engage in virtual platforms. If you are reading this and decide to comment you are making a move to be part of a community.
Here is a little door prize for reading today, this is a great habit tracker. Feel free to download this to try it out. If you would like one of your own here is my Getting to Goal Amazon List. You will find that and some other products that are helping me on this journey.
3 thoughts on “What Works for Weight Loss”
Great framework… !
Anyone looking for the roadmap… here it is!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much! That was what I was hoping to give!
I agree. I am on a similar journey and I have found that not eating late at night and switching out my hot chocolate / coffee for green teas and other herbal teas has helped with weight loss also.
LikeLiked by 1 person